We’ve all been there – after a long day it is easy to put on your favorite shows, get comfortable and fall asleep on the couch. What might seem like a harmless habit may actually be aging your skin much quicker than you’d like.
In a recent survey, one third of women confessed to falling asleep without cleansing their face at least twice a week. Why is this SUCH a skin care no-no? Your skin goes into repair mode when you sleep, repairing and re-balancing itself. Dirt, oil and debris left from the day can make this process harder than it needs to be. Here are a few side effects from falling asleep without cleansing your skin:
- Pores may appear larger – dirt in pores not only makes them more noticeable and thus appear larger, but over time, it may actually stretch them.
- Redness and irritated skin – dirt and oil can form a barrier over the skin, trapping in any irritants.
- Deeper lines and wrinkles – forgetting to cleanse and moisturize at night could dry out your skin even more, making fine lines and wrinkles more prominent.
- Uneven texture – a layer of make-up will also prevent normal skin shedding, slowing down the usual renewal process, resulting in uneven and dull textured skin.
- Brittle lashes – sleeping with mascara on and rubbing your sleepy eyes is a recipe for disaster! Mascara could also flake off, irritating your eyes even more.
Quick solution: If you are guilty of sleeping with your makeup on, I suggest removing your makeup the second you are home for the evening. Your skin will thank you! My picks: Derm Exclusive Facial Cleanser.