We are a family of pasta eaters. There is no getting past that for us – we love our pasta! So, I wanted to share with you all my healthy version of slow cooker penne pasta that is absolutely DELICIOUS!
You can use a few different types of pasta with this – penne, ziti, rigatoni…. don’t be afraid to get a little creative. And BONUS – if you follow container counting, this recipe is 21 Day Fix approved.
Slow Cooker Penne PastaPrint This
- 1 ¼ pound ground turkey
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 15 ounce can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can Tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, grated
- In a large skillet, brown ground turkey meat over medium-high heat. Drain fat. Combine turkey, fennel, tomatoes, spinach, tomato sauce, water, garlic, and seasoning in a 5-6 quart slow cook.
- Cover and cook on low-heat for 6-7 hours.
- Turn to high and stir in dry pasta and basil. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Stir pasta, sprinkle mozzarella, cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Let stand, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle basil on top and ENJOY!
21 Day Fix Container Equivalents (per serving): 1 Red, 2 Green, ½ Purple, 1 Yellow, 1 Blue